What sort of training do I need?
Employers are required by the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
(PUWER) to provide adequate training for their employees and ensure that chainsaws and related equipment are only operated by appropriately trained employees. If you work in or on trees you are expected to hold a certificate of competence. These regulations still apply if you are self-employed.
Training and certification for chainsaws and aerial tree work follow two routes:
1. Lantra Awards training course which provides a Lantra Awards Attendance Certificate and prepares you for independent assessment for an NPTC Certificate of Competence (formerly CS units).
Intended for those seeking contractual work in forestry, utility or arboricultural activities which will involve felling trees over 200mm in diameter and/or aerial tree work.
2. Integrated training and assessment (ITA) courses which provides a Lantra Awards Certificate of Training & Competence.
Suitable if you are an occasional chainsaw user: you use the chainsaw for business, domestic or recreational activities but you do not intend working in forestry, arboricultural activities, on Forestry Commission land, or fell trees over 200mm in diameter.
Arbortec also offers refresher/update courses aimed at experienced operators. If you have had integrated training and assessment you are required to undergo refresher training or progressive career training every 3 years. Experienced chainsaw operators and tree climbers should be getting refresher training every 5 years. These courses are shorter in length.
1. Lantra Awards Courses (duration does not include asssessment)
- CS30 Chainsaw maintenance & cross cutting. (2 days)
- CS31 Felling small trees. (3 days)
- CS30+31 Chainsaw maintenance & cross cutting plus felling small trees. (5 days)
- CS32 Felling trees over 380mm in diameter. (3 days)
- CS34 Dealing with single windblow. (1 day)
- CS38 Basic tree climbing & aerial rescue. (5 days)
- CS39 Operate a chainsaw from rope and harness. (2 days)
- CS38+39 Basic tree climbing & aerial rescue plus operate a chainsaw from rope and harness. (7 days)
- CS40 Arboricultural pruning operations. (2 days)
- CS41 Arboricultural dismantling operations. (3 days)
- UA1 Utility Arboriculture. (2 days)
- LOLER Thorough examination of arboricultural equipment. (3 days)
- Basic tree survey & inspection. (1 day)
- Professional tree survey & inspection. (3 days)